Oatmeal Cookie Stout

Yes, you read that correctly, and yes the Oatmeal Cookie Stout has been brewed.

Oatmeal-Cookie-Stout-Web-3

Above: Mash tun full of broken cookie bits, oh Jebus!

So on Friday 06.19.09 I brewed a batch of Oatmeal Cookie Stout. The idea being this would be a beer that would cross the flavor profile of an Oatmeal Stout with that of an oatmeal cookie – seems like it would have potential to be tasty. So first I had to figure out how I wanted to go about getting that cookie profile into my beer. Originally I had thought about adding the cookie type spices during the brewing process at some point. Then I thought that I really wanted that baked type flavor a cookie has so maybe it would be better if I toasted my oatmeal in an oven. Finally I decided that actually baking cookies and putting them in the mash would be the best idea. So I had to create a cookie recipe that I was comfortable with putting in my beer, so no oil, butter, eggs, milk – none of that stuff. So I kind of created a recipe (see post below for the recipe) that came out consistency-wise very similar to granola but in the shape of a cookie. The first trial batch of cookies turned out pretty well and were eaten right up, a good sign.

So when it was brew day I went to bake the batch of cookies for the beer which was twice the size of the original trial batch. I then realized we only own one cookie sheet and I didn’t want to have to wait. So essentially I packed the entire sheet with the cookie batter in sort of the style you would bake cookie bars. Then after it was finished baking I kind of just broke the pieces up into cookie type sizes to help cool, and then after they cooled broke those pieces up into smaller chunks to help them break down in the mash tun. It was kind of a funny little process, but I hoped it was all worth it in the long run and the profile comes through in the beer.

Oatmeal-Cookie-Stout-Web-2 Oatmeal-Cookie-Stout-Web-1

So to try and help compensate for the additional ingredients into the mash tun and not to trow off all of my numbers for strike water and estimated original gravity and such I weighed all of the ingredients going into the cookies to be put into the mash tun to enter into Pro-Mash to see what the differences were. The cookies had the strike water volume adjust a couple quarts up and the estimated OG went up a few points too. I have added the weights to the original recipe below also. Once I actually mashed in and threw a batch of cookies in the tun I was kind of weirded out. I just felt like I sealed my fate to a very long stuck mash and was preparing for an epic battle against oatmeal. Ironically enough the entire sparge went off with out a hitch. I am concerned there was some minor channeling just because the remaining liquid from the mash tun still tasted sweet, but the numbers in the long run didn’t disappoint, so I’m sure it was fine.

After the brew day is finished I always taste the wort to try and understand what this beer could develop into. Almost all wort tastes similar, especially for specific styles. It tasted as expected, stout-y, a lot of sweetness and roasted barley, but in the finish was a really cool baked cookie flavor with a little bit of cinnamon too. I really am not sure if this will translate to the finished product, and I am really tempted to not add any additional flavor to the seconday just to see what the results will be. Anyway, I think this will be ready to go by the end of July, so we’ll see if it goes on line then, or if I hold onto it for four months of more for the cooler weather to arrive.

On a side note, this was the last recipe I had ingredients prepared for, so that means I’ll be thinking recipes and ordering ingredients soon, so if you have any suggestions of things you’d like to see speak now or, well you know.

4 Responses to “Oatmeal Cookie Stout”

  1. John Says:

    How about a summer fruit used in a unfiltered wheat beer? I know you are not a big fan of fruit beer’s, but a Cherry wheat sounds yummy 🙂

  2. Brian Says:

    Fruit Wheat Summer deal would definetily be good, I just need to get on top of it so we could drink it in the summer! Last one I did – http://www.foolcircle.net/2008/11/07/tappin-the-frootid/ – Frootid the Wheat was brewed in April and not tapped until Novermber, bad brewer. So in actuality if I can brew it by the end of July it would be ready by Labor Day. Cherry Wheat, huh? Maybe not my first choice, but a fuit wheat definetily sounds like a good option.

  3. garrett Says:

    maybe you can work up something that isn’t just a fruit delivery system, like my latest raspberry wheat…. It didn’t get any less pink/red going into the tertiary fermenters!

  4. Brian Says:

    Blood Orange Hefe was a great beer and only took 10 days to ferment. I’m thinking of making a batch soon with some kinda citrus fruit, probably clementines. I was lazy when Blood Oranges were fresh and didn’t make any. I’m really curious about the Busted Cookie Stout though. Sounds like an awesome experiment. Even if you don’t nail it the first time, you got yourself an original!!

Leave a Reply